Pages

Tuesday, March 03, 2015

Diabetic Cycle of Care


I had my annual Diabetic Cycle of Care check-up last week. Basically that means you get some blood tests done a few days before your appointment to check things like cholesterol, HbA1c (that's the overall average for your blood glucose levels for the past 3 months), iron level, microalbumin (protein in your urine) and any other test that the doctor/nurse has requested. 

You see the nurse who checks your height, weight, blood pressure and feet. Shortly afterwards you see your GP. My numbers were pretty good. My HbA1c was 6.1 mmol, which for me is pretty much where it normally sits. The only problem, for some reason, I had put on a couple of kilos (about 5 pounds). My GP was NOT impressed. Even though I had lost over 22 kilos (48.5 pounds) since I was first diagnosed with diabetes. Of course you can guess what he said next. Lose some weight. I know it is for my own good that he says things like that BUT if you know me I don't like being told what to do, especially where my weight is concerned. It's like this wall of stubbornness goes up and I want to tell people to butt out. Of course I don't say that but I want to so badly.  

Anyway, I have decided to walk a little bit more. Not as much as my GP wants me to, he said 30 minutes every day, but at least I am moving. I've walked 2 km (1.2 miles) to the shops and back a couple of times this week. My thinking is it's better than sitting on my butt like I usually do most of the time. My GP wants to see me in another three weeks. Let's hope that he will be a little bit happier about me next time he sees me. I guess I shall find out soon enough.

* I just weighed myself and I have lost 1.2 kg (2.64 lb) since I saw my Doctor last week. I will accept a small victory

No comments: