Pages

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

My Visit To The Surgeon

I went and saw the surgeon this morning. Mark was able to come with me and it was good to have him by my side. The surgeon was great! Not at all like I expected. After conversations with people online from Facebook and Twitter I was sure that he would want to cut me open. I don't even know why I contemplated what I was told by some of the others! He had no intentions of making me go through with any surgery not unless I want to.

We discussed my options being things like taking anti-inflammatory medications (which I do I take mobic), using a splint overnight when I sleep, steroid injections in the wrist and we discussed the operation itself and what that entails. He also mentioned percentages of things but I'm never one to remember numbers for things at the best of times. Although I do remember that he said the operation is successful 95% of the time. Such a positive thing to remember, well I thought so at least.

Mark & I explained how my carpal tunnel affects me and that it slows me a little but not to the point where I can't do what I need to do. The doctor, who was known as a MR, said that as long as it doesn't make my daily tasks too hard to do and as long as it doesn't prevent me from doing what I normally do that he doesn't see the need for an operation. Which is kind of what I was thinking any way.


I have now made a decision based on that and the statistics he mentioned. For now, I have decided that as long as I can knit, crochet and sew when I want then there is no need for me to have an operation but as soon as I am unable to do any of these things then I will reconsider my options.

I went to the chemist a little while ago and bought a proper splint for my wrist. It will most certainly keep my wrist from bending when I am in bed. In fact I wont be doing much with my arm at all when I wear it. It really does impede movement BIG time! Let's hope that it does the trick and I don't wake up with a numb hand all the time. Crossing fingers!

No comments: